Thursday, September 16, 2010

Tecnology

             The different types of technologies that i have to interact with everyday do have an impact on my life today, but i dont believe that would be the case for each piece of technology which i have. Technology has advanced us in ways most of us would not have imagined and i believe i wouldn't be able to get by without the use of my television or phone.
              First , i have 2 cell phones; one being my personnel phone the other which is for work has a direct connect radio. I also have 2 computers one being my laptop and the other the agency network. To start off, at work the computer and the phone are basically glued to my hip for the majority of the day. Here i am required to have them per the protocal and procedures of the agency which i am employed by. The phone or radio give me instant access to the employees under my direction. The computer and its vast data base permit me to obtain required and personnel infromation at the touch. These types of technologies are in essence a blessing to have especially when an immediate response is required for either party. A case in point would be when a few years ago the agency was notified of a of a building vibrating. This is considered a priority and i had to dispatch an inspector already in the field immediately The dirct connect phone was used. the inspector arrived on scene moments later. He then had to relay back to me for immediate assistance as that vibration was due to work at the job site next door, which was in the excavation stage. this excavation caused a serious crack in the building next door and we had to vacate the structure due to a possible collapse. The agency's computer was  used to retrieve pertainant information, to send emails to other agencies to halt mass transit that was nearby, to have construction equipment and material delivered expediately. Here i could not have completed these tasks efficiently without the use of technology which makes me dependant upon it.                  
   

1 comment: